A Family Funeral Home

Mitchell Krofta

December 30, 1996 - February 19, 2015
Racine, WI



Tuesday, February 24, 2015
4:00 PM to 7:00 PM CST
Maresh-Meredith & Acklam Funeral Home
Racine Location
803 Main St.
Racine, WI 53403
(262) 634-7888

AND Wednesday at the church from 10:00 A.M. until time of Mass at 11:00 A.M.

Driving Directions


Wednesday, February 25, 2015
11:00 AM CST
St. Joseph Catholic Church
1533 Erie Street
Racine, WI 53402


At the family's request memorial contributions are to be made to those listed below. Please forward payment directly to the memorial of your choice.

Memorials to the family have been suggested.

Life Story / Obituary


All who knew Mitchell Krofta would agree that he was the heartbeat of wherever he was. He was vibrant, vivacious, and free-spirited with an insatiable zest for life that was contagious to all who were near. Talented, resourceful, and driven, Mitch wasn’t afraid to tackle anything, even when engaged in his fight for gaining basic skills back after his accident. A delight to his family and friends, he loved others with an unconditional and compassionate kind of love that was such a rare treasure. Although he was taken from his loved ones too soon, Mitch’s family finds comfort in knowing that he is enjoying perfect peace, free from pain, in his eternal home.

It seems only fitting that Mitchell’s journey began during a time that was as colorful as he was. It was the 1990s when technology was exploding, the World Wide Web was born, and things like cellular phones, personal computers, and instant messaging became part of our lives. As 1996 drew to a close, Dale and Marie (Montalbano) Krofta were eagerly anticipating the birth of their new baby. The big day finally arrived on December 30th when the baby boy they named Mitchell Maxwell drew his first breath in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was one of two boys in his family and was raised in Racine alongside his brother, Matthew. Mitch’s father worked for HVAC Tech while his mother was a local CFO and adjunct college professor.

From the time he was a young boy Mitch had an interest in everything. He was a bundle of energy, climbing on everything and even lighting his toy soldiers on fire with his bedroom lamp! Mitch developed an early interest in money and had learned all of the currencies by the time he was three. He also liked the non-traditional toys like his skulls, guns, and tools, which he slept with as well as his bedtime movie, Jaws. Mitchell was an amazing son, brother, and cousin who could charm the socks off anyone, which made it difficult to ever be angry with him. He had a heart of compassion for animals from birth, and he would not go to sleep without his beloved Sandy dog on the floor as a little boy. After Sandy’s death, he found a homeless bullmastiff he named Kiera, and after she died his beloved miniature version of Keira, Tiny, became a part of the family. More recently his precious Yoda joined the family. Mitch enjoyed heading to their camper at Whitewater Lake with his dad and brother where he had plenty of time to fish, swim, ski, or to get into trouble of some kind. It was uncanny how he would always come back around dinner time with a, “What’s Up? Is it time to eat?” Of course he continually ate a double portion at every meal and even scrounged around for what was left on the plates of his family members - so much so that one of his favorite expressions was, “It always looks better when it’s on someone else’s plate!”

As he became a teen, Mitch didn’t slow down any as there was never an idle moment with him. He was a friend to everyone he met, although his favorite friends were the ones who made him food! A talented athlete, through the years he played softball, RYS baseball, and while a student at St. Joseph Grade School he played basketball and ran track. Mitch was part of Club Volleyball and got into trap and target shooting as he had quite an extensive collection of both shotguns and handguns. His favorite weekend hobby became going to the range to shoot. Mitch was an excellent marksman who was even recruited for Union Grove High School’s trap shooting team when he was only in grade school. He enjoyed BMX jumping and building, and he became known as the “go to” person for bike parts as he worked at Racine Cyclery and knew the ins and outs of Ebay and Craig’s List from a young age. As soon as he was driving, Mitch took over his mother’s SUV so he would have more room for bikes, allowing him and his buddies to head up to Four Seasons in Milwaukee to practice their various tricks. While at William Horlick High School he also played tennis on the junior varsity team his freshman year and on the varsity team as a sophomore.

Mitch was an avid traveler who took various road trips around the United States with his mom and brother, and he also went to Mexico, Jamaica, and to Florida several times. With a strong faith, Mitch loved pulling pranks during Wednesday night religion classes taught by his mother and Mr. Floyd. He also worked for his mother part-time taking care of various things with bookkeeping, filing, and mailings for her various businesses. Mitch loved his music, warped jokes, and risqué television shows and movies including Ridiculousness, Rob Dyrdek’s Fear Factory, Jackass movies, South Park, and Family Guy. From the time he was eighteen months old, Mitch enjoyed reading. He was a huge Packer fan who told his father that he bled green and gold. In fact, he often threatened to disown his mother who was a Bears fan. After receiving his driver’s license, Mitchell proved to be a good chauffeur for all on their many trips to Taco Bell and various other restaurants. With dreams for a bright future, he had plans to dual enroll in college classes while still in high school, and also wanted to study forensic science, specializing in crime scene investigation and ballistics in college.

Sadly, Mitch suffered a debilitating asthma attack that led to other complications that left him unable to speak, eat, or move while playing tennis in 2013. Not surprisingly, he worked tirelessly with his family, caregivers, therapists, and doctors to regain some of his functions. Mitch experienced success in some areas as he was able to speak some words, eat and swallow certain foods, and even move his arms a legs a bit. The extent of damage that initially occurred was extensive, and eventually his health could not support the continued work necessary for rehabilitation. Mitch was ready to be free from pain with renewed strength and stamina in his heavenly home.

The thing that was impossible to miss about Mitch was his upbeat personality that was never ending. He always knew what to say to lighten the mood, and it has been said that he never had a bad day. Mitch also made it his mission to make sure that the people around him loved life as much as he did.

A gift to everyone he met, Mitchell Krofta was truly an inspiration in every way. He had the most wicked sense of humor and endless supply of pranks with a certain sparkle in his eye that he really turned on when a female was around. With Mitch life was never dull, and one needed to guard their plates carefully around him as nothing was off limits! He will be deeply missed but never forgotten.

Mitchell Maxwell Krofta died on Thursday, February 19, 2015. Mitch’s family includes his parents, Marie Montalbano Krofta, Dale Krofta (fiancée, Brenda Krekling); brother, Matthew; grandparents, Michael Montalbano, all of Racine, Judith Montalbano of Milwaukee, Therese (Jack) DuPlayee of Tomahawk; dogs, Tiny and Yoda; many aunts, uncles, cousins, other relatives and dear friends. Mitchell was preceded in death by his grandfather, Donald Krofta. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Wednesday, February 25, 2015, 11:00 a.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1533 Erie Street, with Rev. Steve Varghese officiating. Relatives and friends may meet with the family Tuesday at the funeral home from 4:00-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday at church from 10:00 a.m. until time of Mass at 11:00 a.m. Memorials to the family have been suggested.

God saw Mitch getting tired, and a cure was not to be. So He put His arms around him and whispered, “Come to Me”. With tearful eyes we watched him suffer, and saw him slowly fade away. Although we loved Mitch dearly, we could not make him stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands put to rest, God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.