Racine Area Cemeteries

Bohemian National Cemetery

Located on 5 Mile Rd about ½ mile west of Hwy 31
Contact Glenn Lorence (262) 681-1738

Caledonia Memorial Park

Located at Nicholson Rd about ½ south of 6 Mile Rd
Office at Town Hall 6922 Nicholson Rd Caledonia WI
Contact Village Clerk (262) 835-6415

Catholic Cemetery Assn

(4 Cemeteries)
Office located at 5600 Holy Cross Rd Racine, WI 53402 (262) 639-1071
Calvary Cemetery located at 2510 Kinzie Ave Racine WI 53405
Old Holy Cross Cemetery located at 2530 Kinzie Ave Racine WI 53405
Holy Cross Cemetery (Hwy 32) located at 5600 Holy Cross Rd in Caledonia
Holy Family Cemetery Located on Hwy 31 north of 5 Mile Rd

Country Haven Cemetery

Located on 5 Mile Rd about a ½ mile west of Hwy 31 just to the west of the Bohemian National Cemetery
Contact Ken Wentdorf (262) 639-6459

City of Racine Cemeteries

(2 Cemeteries)
Office located at 1147 West Bld WI 53405 (262) 636-9188
Graceland Cemetery located at the 3500 Blk of Osborne Blvd south of All Saints Hospital
Mound Cemetery located at 1147 West Blvd Racine

Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery

Located at 21731 Spring Street (Hwy C) Union Grove WI 53182-9707
(262) 878-5660

Racine Jewish Memorial Cemetery

Located at 700 Lathrop Ave Racine, WI 53405
Contact Glenn Gordon (262) 639-1924

West Lawn Memorial Park

Located at 9000 Washington Ave Racine, WI 53406 (262) 886-2400

Veteran’s Benefits

We at Maresh-Meredith and Acklam are proud to support our active serviceman and our veterans who have served.

Our staff will assist in securing a flag and making arrangements for any military honors the family desires. Unfortunately we’ve had experience with service related deaths and are familiar with the military procedures involved. We are also very familiar with the local veteran’s honors and organizations. Please see local link below.

We are blessed in Racine County to a have very qualified and friendly Veteran’s Service Office that assists in all aspects of Veterans Affairs. We recommend that ones makes first contact with them for expert advice.

They are located at 1717 Taylor Ave Racine, WI 53403
Phone (262) 638-6702

They can also be reached through the Racine County Website

Other Information

A. VA Cash Benefits For Reimbursement of Burial Expenses - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran, IF: they were in receipt of VA non-service-connected disability pension benefits or service-connected compensation benefits at the time of death or IF the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility. Additional costs of transportation of the remains may be paid.

B. Active Duty or Service Connected Death - $2,000 is available IF the veteran died during active duty; or is an honorably discharged veteran and died as a result of a service-connected injury.

C. Burial Plot Allowance - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran not interred in a cemetery that is under the jurisdiction of the US government, IF: the veteran was receiving VA non-service-connected disability pension or service-connected compensation benefits at the time of death or IF the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility.

D. US flag - An honorably discharged veteran is entitled to a US flag provided by the Veterans Administration.

E. Headstone or Marker - In a National Cemetery, a veteran, spouse of veteran, and dependent children receive a free headstone. For burial in a private cemetery, a simple marker for veterans ONLY will be provided, if allowed by the cemetery officials. Reserved space for future inscription of spousal data may be allowed. The grave no longer has to be 'unmarked' unless the death was prior to September 11, 2001.

F. Burial in a National Cemetery - Free space is available for a veteran, spouse and dependent children (except Arlington). At the time of death, we will notify the Veterans Administration

G. Burial for Wisconsin Veterans is supplied by the State of Wisconsin at the Southern Wisconsin Veteran’s Memorial Cemetery in the Town of Dover at no cost. Address is 21731 Spring Street Union Grove, WI 53182-9707 Phone: (262) 878-5660 The Veteran, spouse, and dependent child are eligible. The city of Racine offers spaces for veterans only at Graceland Cemetery at no cost (excluding opening/closing charges). Phone (262) 636-9188.

Suggested Links

U.S. Dept of Veteran Affairs


Racine Area Veterans Inc


Wisconsin Dept of Veterans Affairs


Free Online Forms for Veterans


Social Security Benefits

Our Staff at Maresh-Meredith & Acklam is trained to complete all the necessary paperwork required by the Social Security Benefits process.

The local Social Security Office is located at 4020 Durand Ave Racine, WI 53405 (262) 554-4089


Social Security survivors benefits help ease the financial burden that follows a worker's death. Almost all children under age 18 will get monthly benefits if a working parent dies. Other family members may be eligible for benefits, too. Anyone who has worked and paid Social Security (FICA) taxes has been earning survivors benefits for his or her family. The amount of work needed to pay survivors benefits depends on the worker's age at the time of death. It may be as little as 1 ½ years for a young worker. No one needs more than 10 years.


Here is a list of family members who usually can get benefits: Widows and widowers age 60 or older. Widows and widowers at any age if caring for the deceased's child(ren) who are under age 16 or disabled. Divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased 10 years or more. Widows, widowers, divorced wives, and divorced husbands age 50 or older, if they are disabled. Children up to age 18. Children age 18 - 19, if they attend elementary school or high school full time. Children over age 18, if they became disabled before age 22. The deceased worker's parents age 62 or older, if they were being supported by the worker.


In addition to the monthly benefits for family members, a one-time payment of $255 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the worker at the time of death. If there is none, it can be paid to: A spouse who is eligible for benefits. A child or children eligible for benefits. This payment can not be made if there is no eligible spouse or child. HOW TO APPLY FOR BENEFITS You can apply for benefits by telephone or by going to any Social Security office. You may need some of the documents shown in the Information Needed section below. But don't delay your application because you don't have all the information. If you don't have a document you need, Social Security can help you get it.


Your Social Security number and the deceased worker's Social Security number. A death certificate. Proof of the deceased worker's earnings for last year (W-2 forms or self-employment tax return). Your birth certificate. A marriage certificate, if you are applying for benefits as a widow, widower, divorced wife, or divorced husband. A divorce decree, if you are applying for benefits as a divorced wife or husband. Children's birth certificates and Social Security numbers, if applying for children's benefits. Your checking or savings account information, if you want direct deposit of your benefits. You will need to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing office. You can mail them or bring them to the office. Social Security will make photocopies and return your documents.


You may contact the Social Security Office to find out what benefits are available for your individual circumstances, to change records, and to stop automatic deposits. For the local Social Security office nearest you visit:


The national phone number is (800) 772-1213. For more information, write or visit any Social Security office, or phone the toll-free number. will file Form SSA-721 which informs Social Security of a death. You need not order a certified copy of the death certificate to send to your Social Security Administration office.

Grief Support

Below are some links to Grief Management Resources we have found helpful and inspiring:

Crisis, Grief and Healing
This page is meant to be a place men and women can discuss,chat, or simply browse to understand and honor the many different paths to heal strong emotions.

Center for Loss and Life Transition
We publish books, articles and other resources to help people who are grieving. We are also an educational and training center for bereavement caregivers. If you are grieving or want to help others in grief, we invite you to explore our website.

Pathways to Peace
We hope you are able to pause and reflect on the message shared in the Pathways to Peace presentation. As always, Pathways to Peace remains committed to providing wonderful and inspiring experiences of inner peace to all.

The Interview with God
Our mission is to make a positive contribution to the well-being of our world, and to be a major and measurable force for good on the World Wide Web, by creating experiences of inspiration that warm the heart and touch the soul.

GriefNet.org is an Internet community of persons dealing with grief, death, and major loss. We have 47 e-mail support groups and two web sites.

Compassionate Friends
The mission of The Compassionate Friends is to assist families toward the positive resolution of grief following the death of a child of any age and to provide information to help others be supportive.

Willowgreen is pleased to provide you with a series of inspirational pieces for your personal use.

Center for Loss & Life Transition
"Though grief is a natural and necessary process, it's also an extraordinarily difficult one. We're here to help mourners and those who care for them." Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D., Director